Journal I : Expedition to Glacier Bay, Alaska, Summer 1890

August 20th

Tuesday Wednesday. We did not wake up this morning until nine o'clock. The weather was cloudy and all the summits hidden so we decided to push for Camp Muir.

We started at 12:30 and reached camp Muir at 8:45 after a hard day's work. I left McBride to go up a moraine on the way expecting to join him further down the glacier, but reaching some troublesome crevasses, he stopped to wait for me. The Glacier here is in great rolling waves like the prairies; so that I passed McBride without either seeing the other. After going some distance I caught up to Casement and Morse, and finding that McBride had not gone past them, we started back to find him. He was at least two miles behind us, and we were much relieved that nothing had happened to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment