Journal I : Expedition to Glacier Bay, Alaska, Summer 1890

August 9th

Rain today so we all remain in camp. Mr. Cushing and I did squad work.

Prof. Muir had a rough experience with York. York followed him apparently with the intention of shooting him, but the Professor kept out of his way, and came back some 15 hrs ahead of him. York left yesterday for Chilcat via the Glacier. Prof. Muir takes his meals with us and we use his house to sit in. The fire-place is progressing; in the meanwhile we have built a fire on some sand in the middle of the floor, which warms the house and causes a good deal of smoke.

Morse developed some of my photographs today; they seem pretty good. Under Prof. Muir's directions I worked on my sketches and improved their appearance and effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment